Tuesday, June 29, 2010

African Tales

I have been doing a lot of reading amid my school studies lately. I recently stumbled upon a writer named Chimanada Adichie and I can say that that lady is really good in what she does. I am currently reading a book of hers called "Half of a Yellow Sun" and it is going pretty well.

I looked her up on the internet and came across some short stories that she wrote. Since I have been away from Nigeria for about 4 years now, I could not help but feel a little bit homesick. Her stories talked about our customs, food, culture, and the constant respect for our elders. Those stories also talked about storytelling. I remember when I was little and my mum told me and my siblings of stories about the tortoise, lion, elephant etc. I also remember watching "tales by moonlight" on Sunday evenings when growing up. I don't really think that I am a good storyteller and sometimes wonder if I would be able to tell my future children these kinds of tales.

Anyone who is interested in reading a few short stories of this talented writer should click on the link below. It would be worth your read. Have a great long weekend for those in Canada.

3 comments:

  1. Chimamanda is a great writer, her short stories are really good. Have you read This thing around your neck? It's a short story collection. If you like to read contemporary Nigerian stories, check out Naijastories.com. The writers there are mostly upcoming though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the referral. I haven't read "the thing around your neck" yet but will be on the lookout for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half of a Yellow Sun is one of the best books I've read in a while. It also serves as a good history lesson for those of us who weren't affected by the Biafra war directly.

    ReplyDelete